A software audit notification letter can be daunting for any ITAM team. It can cause much anxiety and disruption if the organisation is not prepared to be audit ready.
However, it can be turned into an opportunity with proper planning and guidance from the in-house SAM expert or a trusted partner like TMG.
The software audit notice is not the case of your organisation drawing the short straw and is generally triggered by some events, including:
- Significant IT footprint changes, including mergers or acquisitions, IT environment migration;
- Contractual: terminating a software contract, regular software audit clause in the agreement;
- Financial: reducing or terminating software maintenance renewals, moving support to a third party, financial year or quarter targets of the vendor organisation;
- Recent changes to the software license model (for example, Oracle Java)
- Or simply a disgruntled employee reaching out to the vendor or their affiliated organisations like BSA